Friday, September 26, 2008

Bryan Adams Mixtape Includes Awful Lot of Bryan Adams

--------------------------------------------
From: eddiemyricks@gmail.com
Sent: Friday, September 26, 2008 9:13 AM
To: run2u69@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: MixMaster

Hey Bry:

How's it going over there? Just wanted to thank you for the mixtape. You clearly spent a lot of time on it. (The cover, in particular, is killer. Do you have Photoshop or something?) I had no idea you were into Midlake. And putting that Beach Boys-inspired Dukes of Stratosphere tune right after the Brian Wilson piano-only version of "Surf's Up" was downright inspired. Nicely done!

One thing I wanted to bring up, though, I noticed you put quite a few of your own songs on there, too. Don't get me wrong, your music's ... you've had quite a successful career there ... I'm just curious as to why you decided to include so much of your own stuff on this particular mix?

Kicking things off with Robert Pollard's "I'm a Widow" was unmistakably badass, but following it up with "Kids Wanna Rock," then going directly into "(I Wanna Be) Your Underwear" ... I don't know, man ... it just struck me as a tad lazy. (You wrote that one with "Mutt" Lange, huh? Who did the lyrics? Not that you're asking, but I found them to be a little ... I kinda wanna say "racy" but I also wanna say "lame." Just being honest, my friend.)

And I don't mean to imply that it's not okay to put your own music on a mixtape. Certainly, part of the experiment is to share stuff you like. The thing is, it's sort of a given that you like your own stuff. (Some of it at least.) However, the other part of the experiment is sharing stuff that I may not have run into before. And while it's true that I was not previously aware of "If You Wanna Leave Me (Can I Come Too?)" – a deep cut from 1993's "Waking Up the Neighbours" – I can't help but wonder if that would have been a good slot to put ... I don't know ... someone else's song.

I hope these words don't put the kibosh on our great mixtape exchange. I really am curious as to what you're listening to these days. And maybe that's where I'm way off base ... maybe that's exactly what you have done ... maybe this mix is a completely accurate portrayal of what you're listening to: a little Jay Reatard, a little MC5, a whole lot of Bryan Adams. Who am I to judge?

Anyway, I'm totally looking forward to the next one. How'd you like mine? Figured you'd get a kick out of that Loverboy tune. Fellow Canadians, yeah?

Take it easy, B.A. Keep on rockin'. (And, on your more Adult Contemporary stuff, not rockin'.)

Best,

@

No comments: