Monday, September 8, 2008

Soul Man Denied Access to Bridge

Johnson City, TN - During Thursday night's performance of "Can I Get Some?" soul singer Dontrel "Stacks" Tolliver was ignored by backing band The Hot Biscuits each time he asked them to "Take [him] to the bridge." Rather than moving from the tasty, bottom-heavy groove which anchors the verse into the funk-tastic mid-section, peppered with spiky horns and chicken-scratch guitar, the band continued to vamp, leaving Tolliver no recourse but to continue begging for passage.

Audience members were perplexed by the band's refusal to proceed to the bridge as requested. "Stacks asked them eighteen, twenty times by my count," relays fan Tracy Biggums. "At first, I thought they were just building up
tension, but after a while it became clear they just weren't going to take him at all. You could tell Stacks was hurt."

"I am mortified, horrified, mummified, and country fried," says the 63-year old Tolliver. "I don't know what I did to those boys, but they have wounded me on a level I can't fully verbalize." Dabbing his eye with the edge of his shiny purple cape, the singer continued, "Is this not America? A man should not be subjected to such indignity, this day and age."

When approached, trombonist James "Bonedog" Breckinridge would only comment, "You ask Stacks what happened to our pre-show quesadilla … then we can talk about the [expletive] bridge."


1

No comments: